Friday, October 16, 2009

Weekly Update

Weekly Update 10/16/09 . . .  we live in an odd world, where media encourages us to pay fast attention to the oddest things, like the Balloon Boy story yesterday. And at the same time, asks little of our attention for some of the most pressing issues of the day. Many people speculate WHY this is so . . . but for me, its not so important to know why, as to understand that for myself, I need a different lens. And that is one of the reasons I really like coming to church . . . it helps me to keep my mind and heart on what is of lasting importance. Each one of you: your stories, your passions, the way you live your life help me to remember my own values and commitments. The time set aside each week, pulls me from the business of everyday life's demands, and asks me to pay attention. And for this, I am grateful.

Keep living and loving!  ~ Eva
 
This Sunday:
Sunday Service (9:30 to 10:45am)
“Missed Lincoln’s Cabin by Five Miles”
Rev. Eva Cameron with Staci Chananie-Hill (Worship Associate)

Fellowship (10:45 to 11:15am)
Children's Chapel (11:00 to 11:15am)
Sunday School (11:15 to 12:15pm)
 
        11:15 am Sunday School for
children & youth
  
        11:15 am Adult Classes
Si
xty for Six: UU
Perspectives on Current Events by Bill Harwood. We’ll discuss the “hot” topics of the day and consider how we, as Unitarian Universalists are called to respond. (under the balcony)
Buddhist Path: Join Rev. Eva and others in exploring Buddhist spiritual practices.
Walkin’ the Talk: Seeds of Hope Executive Director Beth Jackley, will share details about the breadth and scope of their various programs and services.
Garden Meditation: Join Julie Fischer and others in the garden.


1:00 pm Sound Board Training Meeting for Worship Associates and interested parties.

This Coming Week
Tuesday
7:00 pm Board Meeting

Wednesday
WOW! Workshops on Wednesdays
5:00
pm Children’s Choir
5:30
pm Dinner (Please RSVP)
6:15
pm Adult Choir
6:30
pm Self Realization Workshop (high
school room)
    
        Artistic Fun Workshop
7:30
pm Theoretical String Band

Thu
rsday
7:30 pm Buddhist Path (balc
ony)

Friday
7:30 pm Community Drum Circle

Sat
urday
6:30 am- 2:00 pm Buddhist Path Retreat

Other Items
I am
wondering if someone is interested in hosting a Community Thanksgiving dinner in our building this year. I am generally out of town, but it occurs to me that we have many people who are single, or empty-nesters . . . who might really enjoy a big potluck type dinner with companions from our church community. Let me know if you'd like to host such an event!
 
Pastoral Update
We have lots of people sick with flu or colds . . . including me, Esther Kieffer, Carolyn Hildebrandt . . .  and that's just the ones I've heard of. Send everyone some extra love. AND, DON'T FORGET TO WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN!

Don Wendt is now living in Friendship Village's Assisted Living, in the "Lakeview" complex since his Alzheimer's has progressed to the point where Dothory could no longer care for him by herself. This is a hard time for both of them as they adjust to living apart. Please kept them in your thoughts and prayers.

Please let me know if you or someone you love should be included in our thoughts and prayers!

--
Rev. Eva S. Cameron
UU Society of Black Hawk Co.
Cedar Falls, IA
USA
319-610-6605 mobile
319-266-5640 church
www.uusbhc.org






No comments: