Friday, February 5, 2010

Weekly Update

Weekly Update - 2/7/10 

This has been a difficult week for me, as I have thought about how much I miss my colleague in ministry, who died of cancer last week. It cuts close my own heart to loose a friend to cancer. I identify too closely. So I have been taking out my 'kit' of spiritual practices, and hunting around for things that will help me regain my bearings. One thing I have been practicing this week, is really cultivating gratitude--most particularly for the chance I have to be alive. This evening, when I sat down to dinner, I looked at my plate. I had made grilled Portabella caps, sweet potatoes flavored with sorghum molasses and some spices, and a tasty salad of mixed greens, spinach, sheep's milk feta, almonds, grapefruit, avocado dressed with a vinaigrette.  As I looked at this plate of food, I felt so lucky I got a chance to be here, and try these tasty foods. As I nibbled on things, and savored their flavors, it made me very happy to think I was alive and not only that, but lucky enough to have all these delicious foods to eat. There are so many precious moments friends. Savor each one you get! We get so many invitations to really be so happy and alive. Let's send in the RSVP, and show up! 

~Eva


This Sunday:

8:30 am Music Rehearsal

9:30 am Sunday Service "The Sparrow"  Rev. Eva Cameron preaching, Maureen Murphy (Worship Associate)

Purchased by Brittany Flokstra at the Treats & Talents auction, this sermon is based on the book The Sparrow.  Agnostics, true believers and misfits are the first to explore an alien race.  In the process we explore the nature of God, and the nature of the other.

              10:45 am Fellowship Time

              11:00 am Children's Chapel

              11:15 am Sunday School for children & youth

              11:15 am Adult Classes

Sixty for Six: "Alternative Spiritualities" Al Hays will inform us about Agnosticism.

Conscious Living: Donna Wood facilitates a discussion of the realities and meanings of

              Socially Responsible Investing then and now.

New Member Session: People interested in becoming new members are invited to meet with

Rev. Eva and Mica Lorenz in Eva's office.

              2:00 pm "A Gathering of Women" small group

              4:00 pm "Beginning Yoga" with Krystal Hamilton--CANCELED THIS WEEK.

 

This Coming Week

Tuesday

              7:15 pm Religious Services Committee

Wednesday

              5:00 pm Children's Choir

              5:30 pm Dinner (Please RSVP)

              6:15 Adult Choir

              6:30 pm Self Realization Workshop

                            Artistic Fun Workshop

                            Integral Live Practice Workshop

              7:30 pm Theoretical String Band

Thursday

              7:30 pm Buddhist Path


Other items

 


You're Invited!

2010 UU Stewardship Dinner

Come join us for pasta, salad, dessert and fellowship.

 Hear why your pledge to UUSBHC is so important!

Saturday, February 20, at the UUSBHC

6:00 Social

6:30 Dinner

7:30 Program

Childcare provided

 RSVP to shanlee.mcnally@dybb.com or 319-296-2780



Exciting news! Krystal Hamilton is now the Chef for Wednesday dinners.  This means she is in charge of the Kitchen. As she learns the ropes please ASK her if she needs any help with the meal or with set-up.  As clean-up is a large job, she could especially use your help with that. We will have posted in the kitchen the different jobs for set-up and clean-up. Please make Krystal welcome. You will still RSVP to Kathy regarding attendance for the dinner.  


Celebrate Brazilian Carnival!Friday Feb. 12th. Come party with us! It's a family affair. Bring a dish to share. 6pm in the Fellowship Hall. Costumes are encourage! See Adele Santana, Staci Chananie-Hill, or Gretchen Koinzan for more details.




--
Rev Eva Cameron
minister
Unitarian Univesalist Society of Black Hawk Co.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
319-610-6605
www.uusbhc.org

No comments: