Friday, September 10, 2010

Weekly Update

9/10/10 Weekly Update
I write this to you from a Rest Area in southern Iowa. I am returning home from taking my daughter Irene and her boyfriend Justin to Tulsa. This morning they flew from there to Australia, (by way of LAX). They plan to be gone for a year on an grand adventure of exploring themselves as they explore the world. You learn all sorts of things as you go about life, if you are looking! Just today I noticed a man using his laptop at the picnic table in this Rest Area. I discovered I could take a driving break and get caught up on this Weekly Update! I also got a chance to read the historical marker posted here, which speaks about several utopian communities that formed in southern Iowa in the mid-1800's. It seems people traveled from several different places in the world, including France and Hungry to participate in their dream of living life within the network of a better social structure. Its been a long time since I read the real history of these movements, but seeing them mentioned made me think about our theme of Pilgrimage of Life. These are people who made daring choices to attempt a dream. It invites me into thought about my life choices . . . some more daring than others. But choices nonetheless. What choices have you made along your life's journey that have helped you live your dream?

Sunday 9/12/10
8:30 am Music Rehearsal
9:30 am "Pilgrimage of Life" Rev. Eva Cameron
An exploration of this year's Spiritual Theme. We begin our journey together as we look at what it means to belong to a religion of spiritual journey.  What resources do you need on this journey?  What do you expect to find along the way?  What has shaped you and formed you?
10:30 am Fellowship Time
11:00 am Children's Chapel (balcony)
11:15 am Sunday School for Children & Youth
11:15 am Adult RE: Sixty for Six "Current Events"

Calendar Updates for this Coming Week
Monday

8:30 – 12:30 pm Office Hours

Tuesday

7:00 pm REAP Council Meeting

7:15 pm Religious Services Council

Wednesday    **Calendar Deadline**

11:00 am Friendship Village Ministry

1:00 – 5:00 pm Office Hours

5:00 pm Children's Choir

5:30 pm Dinner (Please RSVP)

6:15 pm Adult Choir

6:30 pm Cedar Valley Meditation Group (high school room)

7:30 pm Theoretical String Band

Thursday

8:30 – 12:30 pm Office Hours

7:30 pm Buddhist Path (balcony)

Friday    **Calendar Deadline**

7:30 pm Community Drum Circle



Office Update

Office hours have changed.  I will continue with Monday & Thursday mornings from 8:30 am to 12:30pm.  I have added hours on Wednesday afternoons from 1:00 to 5:00 pm.  Please be advised that I am keeping the church calendar now, so if you are in charge of any event at the church, please let me know the time, date and location of your meeting.  I will be gone the week of October 11th so the sooner you send me any calendar information, the better.  Thanks!  Janet


Pastoral Update

Lara Martinsen-Burrell wrote to me yesterday: As residents, volunteers, and professionals work to put out the Fourmile Canyon Fire in Boulder I send love and light.  I am inspired to be reminded of the pioneering spirit of the town as I imagine many are taking in stride the fire, as that's the community attitude.  May healing come swiftly as the people and animals temporarily and permanently relocate.  


These are the thoughts and prayers living in my heart as the place I called home until 6 years ago deals with the fire.  My immediate family is out of harms way.  Niwot, their home is almost another 10 miles from the fire.  The area where Neil and I lived is being evacuated, and my favorite trails have burned... but I imagine that means next spring or so there will be amazing wildflowers.  All the same, tears...ah change.


We also hold the residents of CA who have been effected by the explosion in our hearts and prayers.

Tomorrow, as the country remembers the anniversary of 9/11, I invite us into a place of speaking openly of love and tolerance. Hold the survivors in your hearts. Hold our world, wounded by this and many acts of hatred, in your hearts. Try and plan to do at least one extra act of love tomorrow.  Love actively. Teach your children, grandchildren or neighborhood kids to do the same. Together is the only way we can move forward on this.

Rev Eva Cameron
minister
Unitarian Universalist Society of Black Hawk Co.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
319-610-6605
www.uusbhc.org
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

No comments: