Friday, February 1, 2008

Weekly Update 2/1/08

Hello!

I’m just back from accompanying our Khasi visitor to the Chicago-area and then on to DC for a visit to Fair fax Unitarian Church. He’s staying on in the DC area, and will be preaching in Mont Vernon UU Church next Sunday. He did a wonderful job last weekend in Chicago, preaching at what he called our “Unitarian Cathedral” . . . If you’ve never been to the First Unitarian Church of Chicago (in Hyde Park), I’d heartily recommend it (and you will fully understand Khlur’s comments about the ‘cathedral’!)  It has been a very special time to share our Khasi friend with some people who don’t know anything about the Khasi Hills, and to spend some time with other UU friends who have dedicated a portion of their lives to helping us forge closer ties with this remote corner of the world. I hope that some of you may someday get the chance to travel there. My friend Dee Idnani is taking a group of UU’s there in October, if you are interested in going right away!

This is the FIRST FRIDAY . . . And so we have our monthly potluck and learning time. This month’s theme is Brazilian Carnival. Come and learn about this holiday! Bring a dish to share, and enjoy eating very delicious food from Brazilian recipes (and more local foods too!) It starts at 6pm.(Because of First Friday, I won’t be at Cup of Joe’s this afternoon.)

This Sunday I will be preaching on the theme “Butter and Cream” from a passage in the Upanishads. I’m be speaking to the power of community in helping us understand our true worth. Also, Family Choir is singing, and I think they are cooking up a surprise for you!

Second Hour there are classes for children and adults at 11:15am , following Children’s Chapel at 11am. The Adult programs are: Stories that Changed My Life with Bill Chene, and a program on Darfur.

Our Leadership Council
meeting will follow immediately after Second Hour, with lunch included. Please contact Judith Harrington to RSVP for lunch. All leaders are encouraged to attend.

Having been away, I don’t have any Pastoral Update for you yet . . . But when I hear the news, I’ll send it along separately (perhaps tomorrow).

See you in church!

~~Eva
--
Rev. Eva S. Cameron
UU Society of Black Hawk Co.
Cedar Falls, IA
USA
319-610-6605 mobile
319-266-5640 church
319-266-1111 home
www.uusbhc.org









No comments: